Monday, June 20, 2011

Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher)

Male

Female

This was the first cichlid I had that I got to breed. They were so prolific I had to give the female away after a few batches of fry (roughly 100 per batch). Males get to 3.5" and females about 2.8". You can distinguish females from their more compressed body shape, larger reddish/purplish belly, and more rounded dorsal fins. Kribs come in regular and albino. From what I've read, males of either regular or albino form prefer albino females, as the reddish color in their belly stands out more.

Kribs breed easily and all you need is a cave of some sort (I used an inverted terra cotta pot with a hole drilled on the side) and at least a 20 gallon tank. They do get aggressive when breeding, so you'll need a larger tank if you want to have other fish. Males sometimes eat a few fry, so to maximize the size of each batch you might want to remove him.

No comments:

Post a Comment