Monday, June 20, 2011

Cockatoo Apisto (Apistogramma cacatuoides)

Male

Female

This was the second cichlid I had that bred in my tank. However all the fry eventually died. I assumed they were eaten by the cherry barbs. The cockatoo apisto is a harem breeder, so get a trio of one male and two females if you intend on breeding them. Males are larger and more colorful, they get to about 3.5'' while females stay around 2.5''.

Clean water is a must with this species, which I found out the hard way as I lost each one of them to bacterial infection. The females developed sores on the top of their heads, the male developed a crooked mouth that he couldn't close and also had a reddish pink growth at the base of his pectoral fins. All three died soon after showing those symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment